Monday 11 October 2010

Whatever you did for the least of these

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "

(Matthew 25 vs 35 - 40)

CAP is a 21st century model of meeting these needs.

"For I was hungry and you fed me…”

67% of CAP clients missed meals 1 in 4 doing so regularly.

With testimony after testimony of mothers not eating so they can feed their kids, CAP’s budgeting system prioritises food so that families can provide for and feed their children.

25% of clients have no food when we get there.

Often the people CAP visit will have literally nothing in the kitchen or fridge due to debt-related poverty. Because we want to show them God's love, not just a financial plan, CAP will take their new client food shopping, blessing them in a joyful and abundant way! The thankful response is heart-breaking in its simplicity and wonder that people would actually care enough to do this for them.

Through CAP there is instant and sustainable food, hunger is removed, the picture of helping people with simply a drink, given with love.

“I was a stranger and you invited me in…I was in prison and you came to visit me”

80% said they lived in fear.

Debt is isolation, people hiding behind chairs, not answering doors, hiding from family and friends, ashamed, broken, lost.

We reach in to show love and compassion, we break the isolation caused by debt and through a fantastic base of volunteer support workers CAP befriends clients, introduces them to church and shows them they have value and worth in God's eyes.

“I was sick and you looked after me…”

There are huge health issues caused by stress and poor nutrition.

74% visited their GP due to debt-related stress with 44% prescribed medication.

1 in 3 either considered or attempted suicide before seeking help.

Let's pause right there - people are literally dying in pain, fear, depression and darkness, all because of debt?!? How is this in any way acceptable? When did we give evil such power?

1 in 4 couples split up due to debt and 77% of all respondents said the financial strain of being in debt caused arguments and stress with their partner.

CAP is there to bind up the broken-hearted, to bring restoration and healing, to see God's peace, love and mercy enter troubled households. By praying for and with our clients, CAP declare God's kingdom here on this earth.

CAP is a 21st century expression of God’s heart for the lost and broken, we pray with clients, invite them to church and every year hundreds are saved and brought into local churches to see their lives transformed.


'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment