Sunday 11 September 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Before we leave for New Zealand we spend the day at CAP head office in Bradford which lends a huge dollop of extra excitement to the trip as it has been a month since I last saw everyone. They pray for us in the morning and we spend the day helping out in Partnership which involves unloading the van from the CAP Money Glasgow event they held at the weekend and a large delivery of Nevertheless'. After hugs all round and face ache from smiling so much Jennie & Matt Sanderson drive Chris and I to the airport. Chris is going to Australia to do the same thing as me and we are lucky enough to travel to Dubai together before we catch different flights to our respective countries.


After an 8 hour flight where I spend most of it experimenting with seats specifically designed to dislocate at least several bones as I try find a pain-free way of sleeping we arrive in to Dubai in the early morning to a temperature of 30C. The liquid horizon shimmers in the heat and the air blows like an industrial hairdryer the minute we step onto the tarmac. After a 3 hour wait my flight to Auckland via Brisbane leaves, crossing desserts rippled and scarred by mountain ranges before launching across the dark ocean, the sunset shooting burnt orange as we head ever east and towards Australia.


Lakes of fog swirl within the mountain folded valleys and the sea glints dully amongst the rich green swamps as we approach Brisbane 11 hours later. Palaces of cloud built in swathes of dove grey and flamingo pink dominate the horizon, pierced by soft buttercup rays as the sun rises like a shining golden heart.


A quick disembark and re-embark sees us headed on the final leg of this endless journey to Auckland. My sense of time became dislocated several sleepless hours and a sunrise ago but I enjoy my second breakfast of the day and the captain announces that the Scottish Rugby Team is sharing the journey with us on their way to the Rugby World Cup.


The flight information tells me that we are 0.29 minutes and 186 miles from our destination. I feel time-warped, my vision narrowed to a small porthole filled with a taut silver sliver of an airplane wing and the soft landscape of cotton clouds. Looking back at the interminable journey and with my final destination fast approaching I suddenly feel a long, long way from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment